Ystradgynlais & District
History and Heritage
Chapels of Ystradgynlais
This section of the Ystradgynlais History website is to give a home to historical and photographic information about the chapels of Ystradgynlais, and district. Where these are still open, we will endeavour to include contact and services information. The scope of this section is, initially, restricted to Ystradgynlais, Abercrave, Cwmtrwch and Cwmgiedd. Details of chapels in Ystalyfera and of those further down the valley towards Pontardawe can be found on our companion Ystalyfera History website.
Bethania Chapel in Cwmtwrch was built in 1851 and celebrated its centenary in 1951.
Read More - Bethania Chapel
Bethel Chapel in Lower Cwmtwrch was completed in 1861 and rebuilt in 1925. It was put up for sale in 2010.
Read More - Bethel Chapel
Beulah Chapel in Cwmtwrch is still going strong, and has an associated hall-cum-schoolroom across the road from it.
Read More - Beulah Chapel
Carmel Chapel in Abercrave was a Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, built in 1897. Carmel Chapel was demolished in 2007.
Read More - Carmel Chapel
The English Congregational Chapel, Ystradgynlais was built in 1907 and brought into a joint pastorate with the English Congregational Church in Ystalyfera in 1931. It closed in the early 21st century and has been empty ever since, despite various plans for its use. It is currently being used for storage.
Read More - English Con, Ystradgynlais
Peniel Chapel, Ystradgynlais was originally constructed in 1859, and was rebuilt in 1910. It closed in 2006 and was subsequently demolished, a private house now being erected in its place on Brecon Road, Ystradgynlais.
Read More - Peniel Chapel, Ystradgynlais
Sardis Chapel in Ystradgynlais was built at its current site in 1862, with the adjoining schoolroom added in 1926. Its cemetery is a short distance away, by the original site for Sardis Chapel, that was abandoned in 1859 after the collapse of some underground workings. The new Sardis Chapel is now up for sale.
Read More - Sardis Chapel
Yorath Chapel in Cwmgiedd was opened in 1806 but after a period of 18 years was too small for its congregations, so in 1824 another bigger chapel was built which served its purpose until 1858 when the current chapel was constructed.
Read More - Yorath Chapel
Ebenezer Chapel in Uppper Cwmtwrch is built on the main road and was constructed in 1893.
Read More - Ebenezer Chapel
Godre'Rhos Chapel in Crynant was originally built in 1754 and was rebuilt in 1855.
Read More - Godre'Rhos Chapel, Crynant
Ystradgynlais - South Wales
Contact Ystradgynlais HistoryTelephone : 07855 838502
Email Wolfian Design:
How To Write Alternate History
Click the cover to purchase the paperback
How To Write Alternate History is a series of articles by Grey Wolf, examining subjects such as the identity of man, whether man makes the weather, how the everyday in an alternate world is going to be changed and what names for music, vehicles, weapons etc would be different.
Wolfian PressWhether you have a book all ready to go, or just the idea for a book, the Wolfian Press can make your dream a reality.